What happens when a food stylist and a food photographer get together for breakfast? They decide to shoot what their cooking! Photographer Linda Pugliese and Food Stylist Chelsea Zimmer got together to cook up a breakfast and decided to shoot their Charred Scallion + Asparagus breakfast dish complete with Eggs and Cream. Spring-like and oh-so yummy. A great idea for what to do with Ramps that are currently right in season.Thankfully they shared their shots and recipe with me. Thank you!
Charred Ramps + Asparagus with Baked Eggs + Cream.
1 T butter, divided
4 ramps, cleaned, trimmed + chopped
1 T olive oil
1/2 bunch asparagus, ends snapped
1/2 bunch green garlic, washed + trimmed
6 farm fresh eggs
2 T heavy cream salt + pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Heat a knob of butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add ramps, a good pinch of salt + pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes until soft. Set aside.
3. Turn heat to high. Coat asparagus and green garlic with olive oil. When pan is smoking, in batches, toss asparagus and green garlic until just render and charred; 1-2 minutes.
4. Throw a knob of butter in the skillet, all the pre-cooked veg and make 6 nests within the vegetables. Carefully crack the eggs into the nests, season with salt and pepper and finish with a drizzle of heavy cream.
5. Cover the skillet tightly with tin foil and bake for 12-14 minutes, just until the egg whites have set and the yokes are still soft. Start checking after 10 minutes.